One of the most famous attractions on this Coast is of course the Kennedy Space Center followed by Daytona Beach known as “The World’s Most Famous Beach.” It is one of the few places in the world where a family car can be driven on a beach. Most other driving beaches require 4 wheel drive or other special equipment. In the past Daytona Beach catered to spring breakers (College Kids), but in recent years many of the breakers have migrated to other sites.
Daytona city and its beaches, is just along the coast from Cocoa Beach and is lined with hotels, motels, condominiums and houses, and attracts over 8,000,000 tourists each year. Hotel and motel rooms are typically plentiful except during special events.
During motorcycle events (Bike Week and Biketoberfest), several hundred thousand bikers from all over the world visit the greater Daytona Beach area. Everywhere you look you see hundreds of bikes and the air is filled with the roar of customised Harley’s.
Special events that draw visitors to Daytona Beach include:
- Speedweeks in early February when over 200,000 NASCAR fans come to attend the season-opening Daytona 500.
- Other events include the NASCAR Coke Zero 400 race in July.
- Bike Week in early March
- Biketoberfest in late October
- The Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona endurance race in January
- Turkey Run car show and events during Thanksgiving weekend (Traditionally called the Turkey Rod Run)
- Black College Reunion (BCR) date varies
- Spring break date varies
Daytona Beach is also home to the headquarters of the LPGA and NASCAR has it’s headquarters at Daytona Beach.
The International Speedway is well worth a vist especially if you are racing fans. There is also the Richard Petty driving experience here. It is pretty much the same as the one at Disney but hey, if you’re gonna get behind the wheel of a NASCAR then where better than Daytona!!
The ocean is much more tidal than the Gulf and the waves are bigger hence the attraction for surfers. The hard compacted sand is an ideal driving surface and you will find many vehicles parked up with families having picnics etc. There is a fee to take your car on the beach.
- Volusia Mall, 1700 West International Speedway Blvd. The largest shopping mall in Daytona Beach. Anchored by Sears, J. C. Penney, Macy's and Dillard's.
- Ocean Walk Shoppes, 250 North Atlantic Ave. Open-air shopping center, located in the heart of the beach area.
- Promenade Shopping Center